Notes tab for novice divers

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Tue May 14 08:43:01 PDT 2019

On 2019/05/14 16:53, Pedro Neves wrote:
> On 14/05/19 15:47, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>> So how does one trigger a switch to the "advanced" version? What if
>> the first time you use Subsurface, you download from a dive computer?
>> I'm trying to understand the logic when we show which UI...
>>
>> In general, having two different UIs for different users makes me a
>> bit nervous. More to test, more to maintain, more to get wrong. But I
>> see the value in the simpler layout... I would, however, for
>> consistency keep rating and tags below the people you dove with...
>

> Hi:
>
> I like Willem's approach. It's simple and concise.
>
> To "trigger" the switch to the "advanced" version, one could add an
> item on the preferences menu (on the General tab?)... I've seen stuff
> like this in some programs I use... (Note: I have no idea on how easy
> it is to implement it...
>
> I agree with Dirk's comments on the position of the tags and ratings
> fields...
>
> Cheers:
>
> Pedro

I would imagine that the view for advanced divers would look reasonably
similar: getting rid of diveMode, ProtectiveWear, temperatures, etc. The
challenge throughout is to have a clean, simple interface that is
expandable by using the other tabs.

By the way, we already have a special layout for manually-entered dives.
The dive depth and duration are shown on a special row in the grid
forming the tab layout, and the software cleanly switches between the
two ways of presenting dive information. But I have now so often heard
the complaint that Subsurface is complex that I think perhaps one should
start thinking about it. For instance the water type information is
really unfriendly and we should consider to change this on the UI side,
but not in the calculations.

I hope this makes a bit sense.

Kind regards,

willem