Make water salinity editable

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Fri May 17 09:17:19 PDT 2019

On 2019/05/17 16:52, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> I recall many, many threads on this mailing list that point out that
> editing salinity isn't really useful.
> At least when diving with a dive computer you are almost CERTAIN to
> make things worse by doing so. Your dive computer records pressure,
> not depth.
>
> I won't try to rehash all of these discussions here, just point out
> that I wonder if this is a good direction to go.
>
> /D

Hallo Dirk,

Allow me to ask a few questions. 1) If I am in a situation where
salinity is not recorded by the dc, would it be pointless to edit the
salinity, even if editing was restricted to cases where the dc has no
salinity value? Jef assures me some dive computers do not report
salinity. 2) If it is pointless, why does Subsurface bother to implement
salinity in both the dive computer as well as in the dive structures?

Most of the discussion I am aware of revolved around dive planning, not
on logging a dive after the fact.

Kind regards,

willem

Please refer to