Feedback Subsurface-mobile 2.2.3 (4.9.3.258) for iOS

Berthold Stoeger bstoeger at mail.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Nov 4 04:16:55 PST 2019

Dirk,

On Montag, 4. November 2019 12:47:48 CET Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> The old version accessed data through pointers that weren't guaranteed to be
> valid which caused random crashes. We now access the data from the model
> which simply causes more overhead. I'm still looking for ways to make this
> faster, but realistically it needs a redesign

I'm not sure that I agree. For every field, the old version went to the model
and got a DiveObjectHelper from which it extracted the display data. What has
changed is that now the string is extracted by the model itself and passed to
QML. There should be the same number of model-lookups, just the strings being
extracted at different levels.

I see no fundamental reason that the new version has to be slower and we
should try to figure out what is happening.

Concerning redesign: Is there a reason that a ListView was chosen over a
TreeView (which seems like the more logical choice to me)?

Berthold