fundamental design issues with trips and dives

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Nov 7 10:32:22 PST 2019

> On Nov 7, 2019, at 10:10 AM, Berthold Stoeger <bstoeger at mail.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
>
> Dirk,
>
> On Donnerstag, 7. November 2019 18:17:28 CET Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>
>> (4) ??? other ideas?
>
> This all works on desktop, so my idea would be to use the desktop tree model
> and the desktop undo commands. More details later (in the metro to dinner).

Yes, I looked at using the tree model and the undo commands. I actually spent quite a bit of time on that path before doing the current rewrite that is now in beta test on both Android and iOS.

My conclusion is that it would be much easier to just kill the current mobile code completely and start from scratch writing an html/JS UI or native Java code for Android and Swift for iOS or something.
Because QML cannot reasonably deal with data in tree models. There are many discussions of this online. Yes, it sort of kinda works, but no, really, it doesn't.

I have spent several years trying to understand enough QML and to wrestle Kirigami into submission to make an almost maybe somewhat useful mobile app. Which fundamentally sucks, but hey, it's better than nothing.

I have zero background in html/JS, Java, or Swift. And I don't think I'm up to spending the learning curve and hours to get me there.

So with me as the de-facto main developer working on the mobile app I think we are at a fork in the road.