RFC: Subsurface Statistics tab

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Nov 25 19:01:15 PST 2019

HI Jordan,

> On Nov 25, 2019, at 4:05 PM, ♠ Jordan Reiser ♠ <jordan.l.reiser at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I think the information is designed clearly but q bit dense and is in need of some modernization. I’m just becoming familiar with it and haven’t had a chance to review the app in its current form on desktop or mobile yet (just seen screenshots so far). I have some initial ideas though ,
>
>  1. for example does the user need to see everything all at once or can things be shown only when the user needs it, thinking of collapsing information inside of different interactive access controls, eg onclick panels, accordions, sliders etc., basically leveraging invisible space as much as possible so the user can focus on a few things at a time.

We use a more pedestrian way of doing just that - you can see it in the screen shot, actually. We have multiple tabs. The first one shows the most useful information for a user looking at a dive (screenshots from a Mac as that what I'm on right now)

Then we have information about some of the equipment used (that one I find particularly ugly).

 A lot more information about THIS dive.

And then the statistics tab that shows information about all selected dives (this is kinda boring with just one dive selected).

> 2. Given the above maybe there is a way to combine the information contained in the tabs to lessen the amount of tabs needed, just rethinking the nav and consolidating similar areas may help it feel like less even though its the same amount of info.

I'm very open to better ideas here. The current layout is driven by the need to work on relatively small screens (it's not unusual for divers to bring an old laptop with a 1280x800 screen - I don't think we support 1024x600 anymore... we used to).

> 3. Visualizing stats wherever possible, eg. gas consumption can be visualized against the total perhaps, things like this.

Again, very open to better ideas. Our two main constraints so far have been "finding great design" and then "with the design ideas we have, finding how to implement them given the UI toolkits we have decided to use". Moving to different UI toolkits is a very, very, VERY tall hurdle. I can talk for hours about why (Bryan heard a really short version of that last week).

> Give me a day or so to take a hard look and can spin you guys up something cool

Of course! We'd love to see it.

> Noob question i have right now is, can users log data only manually is it possible to do semi or fully automatically? This app reminds me of a snowboarding app i once had, does similar things going to look for some inspo there.

You can manually enter dives. You can download from a simple dive computer and add more data manually. And you can download data from a sophisticated dive computer and get a lot of the information filled (e.g., a simple dive computer gives you no information about the gas use, a better one might include that).

/D