4.9.3 preparations

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Sep 9 01:59:50 PDT 2019

On Mon, Sep 09, 2019 at 09:22:28AM +0100, Paul Buxton wrote:
> Tried with the --cloud-timeout, no change (other than taking 15 secs to
> timeout).
>
> I am able to go back to the 4.9.1 appimage and it has no issues talking to
> github.
> I am also able to log into the cloud.subsurface-divelog.org (didn't know
> that existed, nice!) with my username/credentials
> So I don't think it is the network here.

Reasonable conclusion.

> My first thought was perhaps we were not supplying openssl as part of the
> package
> So I mounted the appimage and did
> ldd usr/bin/subsurface | grep ssl
> which returned
> libssl.so.1.0.0 => /tmp/.mount_SubsurBX6Yhm/usr/bin/../lib/libssl.so.1.0.0
> (0x00007f1a11a71000)
>
> Tried this on both and get the same result, so I think openssl library
> version is not the issue.
> I will do some googling to see if there are any known qt networking
> related, as I note that the package uses a newer version of QT than
> previously.

But I think it actually might be the SSL version after all, as that's the
one thing that appears to be different here:

$ ~/Downloads/Subsurface-4.9.3-x86_64.AppImage -v
Subsurface v4.9.3,
built with libdivecomputer v0.7.0-devel-Subsurface-NG (ce6d9896a79afaa82641132e338f8744714c8593)
built with Qt Version 5.12.4, runtime from Qt Version 5.12.4
built with libgit2 0.26.0
[...]
NO openssl errors...
[...]
cloud URL set as "https://cloud.subsurface-divelog.org//git/dirk@hohndel.org[dirk@hohndel.org]"
Opening cloud storage from: "https://cloud.subsurface-divelog.org//git/dirk@hohndel.org[dirk@hohndel.org]"
git storage: Synchronising data file
git storage: update local repo
sync with remote https://cloud.subsurface-divelog.org//git/dirk@hohndel.org[dirk@hohndel.org]
git storage: Sync with cloud storage
Cloud storage: checking connection to cloud server
Checking cloud connection...
git storage: Waiting for cloud connection (1 second(s) passed)
git storage: fetch remote
git storage: Successful cloud connection, fetch remote
git storage: check remote status
git storage: try to update
git storage: Done syncing with cloud storage
git storage: Load dives from local cache
git storage: Successfully opened dive data

And if I check the SSL library in use

$ ldd /tmp/.mount_SubsurMl62lz/AppRun  | grep ssl
        libssl.so.1.1 => /usr/lib/libssl.so.1.1 (0x00007fc70b25a000)

See how it uses openssl 1.1? And those two have api incompatibilities.
This is of course all built in a Docker image based on a heavily update
Ubuntu Trusty, so... hrmpf... I don't /think/ anything in the openssl
setup should have changed between the 4.9.1 and 4.9.3 AppImage...

But of course if cloud storage were broken for a lot of people, that would
be BAD...