Ratio ix3m Pro on Android

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Sep 11 06:09:24 PDT 2019

On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 09:07:51AM +0200, liquid tcp wrote:

> Since I'm completely new to diving, let me first thank you all for what
> seems to me as the best available divelog!
>
> I do have a Ratio ix3m Pro (Deep) computer that downloads fine to subsurface
> In the Android app [2.2.0(4.9.1.40) - playstore beta] the pros are not
> listed, and I can't download the logs to subsurface-mobile (via USB-C
> adapter)

The Pro models don't support BLE - and on Android support of cable based
downloads is mostly non-existant. Yes, for FTDI cables this appears to
work for a small number of people who's phones' Android version doesn't
block access to the way we try to open the USB port, but it appears for
the vast majority of phones even the FTDI download fails. And I /think/
the Ratio download cable isn't FTDI based, anyway.

> Is there anything I can do to (help) make it available?
> Unfortunately I have never worked with C++ before (well, actually I only
> "played lego" with .Net ;-) except of some assembler basics back in school)
> I've tried and downloaded the repo, but must admit I do not yet understand
> the divecomputer interface, and didn't even find the android related code.
> so I fear I can't be much help with actual coding anytime soon

We in theory know how this situation could be improved. But the only
developer who really seems to fully understand what needs to be done
doesn't have the time to work on this, and those who care enough and might
have the time, don't have sufficient understanding how to make the libusb2
integration with the native USB port access implementation on newer
Android work.