4.9.3 AppImage issue

David Tillotson david at acmelabs.co.uk
Wed Sep 18 13:14:48 PDT 2019

On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 20:03:00 +0100
Paul Buxton <paulbuxton.mail at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hmm, this looks pertinent
> https://wiki.debian.org/MachineId

Interesting article. Reading that, I'm now even more puzzled as to what
this is for. Every claimed use is already covered by other mechanisms
as far as I know.

> Can I ask when you added the file, was that in your local system, or
> did you somehow insert it into the appimage? My guess is the former...

You are right with that guess - not sure how it would be added to the
appimage!

> The end of that article assumes that chroot/container environments
> would populate the machine id from the host system into the container.
> I confess I am not 100% clear on how Appimage works, but I suspect it
> is combining the folders in the Appimage mount with the host system
> folders, and as your system doesn't use systemd this file doesn't
> exist.

That does seem to be what is happening - creating a valid(ish) file
works, so whatever is using it doesn't care what is in the file.
Changing the file to a different one (32 1s) had no effect.

> I will try and understand a bit more about how appimage works and see
> if I can suggest a proper solution unless someone who knows better can
> fix it first. :-)

I would guess that adding a file to the appimage would work, if I could
figure out how. I'm happy to test any attempted fixes in the meantime.