Latest Testflight fersion

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Apr 3 14:31:09 PDT 2020

On Sat, 2020-04-04 at 00:00 +0300, Chirana Gheorghita Eugeniu Theodor
wrote:
> Tested latest beta on android.
> - i modify a dive and close the sofware by force close. everything
> seems to be saved.

Excellent. This is my third attempt of solving this issue. And this
time we are using a pretty big hammer to get this right (extra kudos
and thanks to Berthold for convincing me that this was the right / safe
thing to do).

> Can you guys detail what needs to be tested exactly?

Well, I have one report from a user on 3.0.3 that states that he still
has the problem that he downloads from a dive computer, syncs to the
cloud, and then the new dives don't show up on the desktop. And I have
tried to reproduce this with 3.0.3 and cannot. More people trying to
figure out a way this might still happen (and then sending me log
files) would of course be super helpful. As would be the information
that you tried (and what you tried) and that it actually works as
designed for once :-)

> I find that startup is different. See atrached pic. I have never seen
> this screen before.

Yes, this is new in 3.0.3. The reason for that is that the way we tried
to inform the user about the startup progress was fundamentally broken
on iOS (it never worked there) and mostly broken on Android. It mostly
worked when running Subsurface-mobile on the desktop (which is how most
of the developers test -- including of course myself).
So after 3.0.2 caused the startup time to massively go up (because I'm
an idiot - that has been fixed in 3.0.3) and I got seriously frustrated
when trying to debug THAT, I instead first re-did the initialization
sequence.

We now exit the QML setup MUCH more quickly and before we even start to
open any data files. That's why the launch screen logo is displayed for
a much shorter period of time. And since I was testing all of this on a
slow device with a MASSIVE artificial dataset of over 8000 dives (which
corresponds to a 127MB git repo), I decided that it would make sense to
give the user more visibility into what we are actually doing during
that startup time, instead of just showing them a spinner...

> 2020 is ok now. see secomd pic.

Yeah, that was so incredibly annoying that I didn't catch that prior to
the 3.0 release... :-(