towards 4.9.4

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Apr 12 13:05:22 PDT 2020

As always, thank you so much, Hartley, for the in-depth testing.

> On Apr 12, 2020, at 12:52 PM, Hartley Horwitz <hhrwtz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Testing on Windows 10 Enterprise, 64 bit:
>
> Items that work:
> * edits to notes page.  I tried adding or changing fields, adding notes, stars, etc
> * manually added tanks and tank switches to a dive
> * changed a dive duration
> * added 2 different weight types
> * checked statistics on individual dive, and 4 dives.  I did not do detailed calculations to confirm the numbers were accurate -- just ball park on depths, times, air consumption
> * added a new dive site. Dragged flag in map view to create a new location
> * filtering.  I didn't try extensively, just filtered on tags, and water temperature
> * renumbering all dives
> * edited a dive trip title and info

Wonderful

> Items that don't work:
> * edits to the notes page do not warn the user that they are editing a dive.  Edits to the equipment page do (i.e. the warning banner at the top of the page).

That's, err, a "feature" :-)
More complete answer: the warning banner should soon be completely gone, once every edit can be undone. We only have this remaining in places where the conversion to the undo code isn't complete. Everywhere else if you edit something and don't like it, simply undo the edit... which means soon that warning banner will simply be gone.

> * added in an unreasonable atmospheric pressure.  I couldn't see how it impacted the dive. I tried 0.2mbar and 2000mbar.  I expected to see some change on the tissue heat map, and I did not.

I'll leave that to Robert to respond to. I do not claim to understand how the heat map calculation works (nor if and how surface pressure is taken into account there)

> * layout of the information page.  I sent an attachment on my previous email, but the right column of info is stretched to fit the page, which looks strange

Yep. Definitely something "someone" needs to fix prior to a release.

> * preferences - unit. I noticed that the display says metric, and in shaded text is something with is personalized.  I normally had preferences set as personalized, so this looked like a change.  Initially I thought I must have changed it to 'all metric' when doing testing on mobile.  For 'personalized' I have all units in metric except weight in pounds.  So based on the fact the radio button says metric, I was expecting weights in kilos.  Instead weight is shown in pounds, and the rest of the units were metric as expected.   I selected the 'apply' button on the bottom of the page and it then appears as if the 'all metric' setting was applied.  This is a long explanation, but it looks like subsurface properly read my initial preferences, and displayed my dive log using those preferences, but when I go to the preference page, it showed some other setting.    Since I've applied and saved these preferences, opening and closing Subsurface several times, I'm no longer able to reproduce this issue.

That's odd. So the app was using your personalized preferences and showed things in "metric + pounds", but in the preferences screen "metric" was shown as selected and not "personalized"? I would have assumed that this would have to be consistent, but due to some crazy invasive changes to the preferences code, this has become very hard to trace... I'll add this to the list of things to look at.

Again, thank you so much for all the effort that you put into testing!!!