a different approach to release announcements and translations thereof

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Apr 29 13:21:11 PDT 2020

On Wed, 2020-04-29 at 11:22 -0700, Dirk Hohndel via subsurface wrote:
> On Wed, 2020-04-29 at 19:15 +0100, Pedro Neves via subsurface wrote:
> >     On 29/04/20 18:17, Dirk Hohndel via
> >       subsurface wrote:
> >

> > >       The easiest way might be something like this
>
> Actually, I downloaded GitHub Desktop on my Mac to see how that would
> work for someone who doesn't like the command line and was QUITE
> impressed. For creating text changes like this it seems like the UI
> would work very well and most of the steps that are mentioned below
> become MUCH easier with it. I'll play with it some more and will post
> an update here once I have concise instructions using that.
>
> GitHub Desktop has solid support for Mac and Windows and appears to
> have a snap that is working well "for some" on Linux. But then again,
> I think that those using a Linux desktop are also somewhat more
> likely to be comfortable with the command line instructions that I
> sent out :-)

Oh yeah, I like this for things that don't involve working on code... I
tested this on Mac and Windows, I assume that it's not significantly
different on Linux (using the snap - googling shows that the snap
itself occasionally creates problems)
(1) install GitHub desktop https://desktop.github.com(2) launch the
app, either log in to your account, or create a new one (they will ask
you what you do - feel free to say "other" and "translate" and mention
"Subsurface" when asked about interests. Or fill in random data). After
a bit of back and forth between app, browser, and email (grr) you'll be
logged in to your account in the App - in the process please enter your
full name and preferred email address (they will be used as Author for
your commits)(3) click on File->Options->Integrations and pick an
external editor - if you don't have a favorite it will offer to install
Atom which works really nicely as it also understands git and changes
and all that(4) back in GitHub Desktop, in the Let's get started
screen, click on "Clone a repository from the internet", select "URL"
and enter subsurface/subsurface.github.io and click on Clone(5) create
a branch: click on Current branch in the center, make sure it shows
'master', and then "create new", enter your branch name (for this
example: 'demonstratePR')(6) on the main screen you'll see that you
have no local changes and you'll be given the option to open the repo
in your external editor (in this example "Open in Atom") -- click on
that(7) now you can navigate to the file you want to edit, you can
create folders, create files, etc. When you are done and have your
changes saved, go back to GitHub Desktop(8) in the left column you will
now see the changed files, changes on the right. On the bottom left is
a window to make a commit. Enter your commit message and click Commit
(I'd prefer if you added a "Signed-off-by:" line, but for the GitHub
page I'm not going to be too worried about that)(9) now you'll see an
option to Publish your branch. Most of you don't have write access to
our repo, so GitHub desktop will automatically offer you to fork that
into your account and create the branch there. Accept that(10) next
you'll be offered to create a PR (which will take you to the browser
where you can complete this step)
This still is a relatively long process, but I think this will be much
easier for people who aren't that comfortable with the command line,
git, and all the infrastructure around it. I'll admit that I was really
impressed with how smoothly this process went. I created a new GitHub
account in order to go through all of these steps, and including
writing it all down, installing both GitHub and Atom, and fighting
through the change (creating a line in a German translation in a US
version of Windows in a VM on a US keyboard where I couldn't figure out
where to find the Umlaute) it took me just under 20 minutes to get
here. And the next change would likely be just a couple of minutes, now
that everything is installed.
please give it a try and let me know. This might also work well for
people working on the user manual, the translations of the user manual
(which at this point are all way out of date, btw), the release notes,
etc, in the main project.
Thanks