a different approach to release announcements and translations thereof

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Apr 30 07:27:17 PDT 2020

> On Apr 30, 2020, at 3:59 AM, Peter Zaal via subsurface <subsurface at subsurface-divelog.org> wrote:
> Reading this, it looks hard and scary - but it's actually just a hand full of steps, and most of them are only needed once.
> And frankly, with this setup I'm equally happy if you were to simply edit the file (i.e., create a translation) and send that text to me in an email and I can take care of the mechanics.
>
> Ok, so now am at the point I have to admit that I am also a developer, so this is not scary at all ;)

Cool. Especially on Windows you still might prefer the GitHub Desktop version of all this (using VSC as external editor). But that's entirely up to you, of course.

> The reason I also asked for this is that there are probably some translators that are not developers or that technical.

There almost certainly are. We typically have far fewer translations of the announcements than of the app itself - which is fine, TBH.

> And for myself, I am a Microsoft .NET C# developer on the Windows platform, and have always been using Team Foundation Version Control (TFVC). My team and I have just recently started using Git repo's for version control. So I am really not that familiar yet with Git, so it's good to have a list of steps, even if it's just to verify I don't forget something (e.g. forking is not something we use).

I've been using git for about 16 years now and it all feels pretty natural and obvious to me - which is an interesting experience when I then try to explain it in detail.

> The design with the desktop-release-bottom.MD file is indeed a bit odd. I'll figure out how to do this in a per-language manner. The reason for the existence of this include is that this is exactly the same in every announcement (and has been for quite a while), so it seems much easier to just include the text.
>
> I understand it's the same content for every announcement, but still different for every language. So it seems more natural to have a desktop-release-bottom.MD file per language. The same as there seems to be an about.MD file per language.

I haven't managed to figure out "relative" include paths in Jekyll. So the problem is that with this after a translator copies an announcement they also need to adjust the include statement.
But yes, I hear you. I'll figure out a way to not have this one file that's different.

> Finally, the question about _posts and _drafts -- that's arbitrary. We could have the draft in the _posts folder.

Turns out this statement was wrong. With the plugin that we use, drafts MUST be in the _drafts folder

> What makes a draft a draft is the fact that it doesn't have a date at the first part of the file name. Once we release, all I do is rename and move the files (that's a simply git operation) and push that change to the repo, then the files will automatically show up.
>
> Aha, was just wondering. If this is a manual step you want/have to do, all fine with me ;)

Correct - because we never quite know when a release will go out. I had been hoping to get it out tomorrow, but since we are still chasing an issue, that may not happen.

> I forked the repo, created a branch and started on the dutch translation. Will try to submit a PR tonight.

Awesome. Dank u