Edit Gas Change Event

micha micha at michaelwerle.com
Sun Aug 2 20:21:27 PDT 2020

Hi,

I have implemented a basic right-click menu to edit a gas-change event.

The use-case is diving sidemount with 2 AI sensors (left and right) as well as
deco gas (no sensor, just switched manually on my DC).

In the basic case (just sidemount), Subsurface uses the sensors correctly,
creates 2 tanks, and tracks their pressures. This does not create any gas-
change events (maybe better called cylinder-change?) but that's a separate
topic.

However in the deco case, Subsurface only creates 2 tanks.  It seems to create
the tanks for each of the sensors, but then uses one of them for the manual
gas-change event from the DC instead of creating a new one for that. The
display then gets somewhat confused as regards gas tracking.

There is no way to fix this using the current UI.  My current workflow is to
create a third tank with the deco gas, and change the second tank back to air.
But the only way to edit the gas-change events is to  manually edit the data
files which is not optimal.  Alternatively I could delete the gas-change event
and create a new one using the UI, but I've found that getting the time right
this way is almost impossible.

So I've implemented a way to modify the destination tank of a gas-change
event.  Initial testing shows it working for my use case.

The diff can be seen on GitHub:
https://github.com/subsurface/subsurface/compare/master...mwerle:feature/
edit_gas_change

If there are no objections/concerns, I'll clean this up a bit and create a
pull request.

Wbr,
  - Micha.

---

PS. (Perhaps better as a separate topic)
I couldn't find any instructions for setting up a build/debug environment for
QtCreator. Should it just work "out of the box"?

In my case, after loading the subsurface/CMakeLists.txt in QtCreator as a new
project, compilation failed initially when generating the documentation
(complained about missing "build.ninja" (the file exists, I'm guessing some
sort of path issue), so I just disabled that in the project configuration.

Then compilation failed due to missing header files (specifically, ui_*.h).

The only way I could get it working was to run build.sh, then manually copy
the generated contents from the subsurface/build/desktop-widgets folder into
the QtCreator build directory.

Am I missing some setup steps?

---

PPS.  Is there some way to search the mailing list archive?