Building with printing on Mac

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Aug 17 08:19:33 PDT 2020

> On Aug 17, 2020, at 5:24 AM, Robert Helling via subsurface <subsurface at subsurface-divelog.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> once more, I need some help in building subsurface. For a few years, I have always used NOPRINTING=ON, since I did not want to deal with complications from features that I never use at all (I print logbook pages using the TeX export). But since I was playing with the icons sizes and those affect the native print support as well, I thought I could once again give it a try.
>
> What I did so far (plus many steps that apparently were dead ends):
>
> Installed QtWebKit from source, built and installed (it ended up in /usr/local/lib).

That last part makes it in my experience brutally hard to get this right.
Can you run the install again with an install prefix that installs it into the same location where you have your Qt version?
I have the various Qt versions in ~/QT_${VERSION}/ and can switch between them if necessary - which has really been useful in the past. If you then use ~/QT_${VERSION}/${VERSION}/clang_64 as prefix, things will likely magically work.

> Blew away build directory.

Just the Subsurface build directory or also the Grantlee and googlemapsplugin build directories? They all three need to be rebuilt with the exact same Qt version or BadThings™ will happen...

> Ran scripts/build.sh -build-with-webkit
>
> That proceeded without errors but produced a binary that when run complained it couldn’t find the WebKit framework.
> That could be helped by install_name_tool -add_rpath /usr/local/lib Subsurface.app/Contents/MacOS/Subsurface
> That resulted in complaints about not being able to finde MultimediaWidgets, so
> install_name_tool -add_rpath /Users/Helling/Qt/5.12.0/clang_64/lib/ Subsurface.app/Contents/MacOS/Subsurface
>
> And indeed, now I have a subsurface binary that has  print option. But the pages it produces are just the forms, there is no data filled in and instead of the profile, there is only the Subsurface logo. In the terminal, it complains
>
> Don't know how to handle metatype DiveObjectHelperGrantlee
> Don't know how to handle metatype DiveObjectHelperGrantlee
> Don't know how to handle metatype DiveObjectHelperGrantlee
> Don't know how to handle metatype DiveObjectHelperGrantlee
> Don't know how to handle metatype DiveObjectHelperGrantlee
> Don't know how to handle metatype DiveObjectHelperGrantlee
> Don't know how to handle metatype DiveObjectHelperGrantlee
> Don't know how to handle metatype DiveObjectHelperGrantlee
> Don't know how to handle metatype DiveObjectHelperGrantlee
> Don't know how to handle metatype DiveObjectHelperGrantlee
> Don't know how to handle metatype DiveObjectHelperGrantlee
> Don't know how to handle metatype DiveObjectHelperGrantlee
> Don't know how to handle metatype DiveObjectHelperGrantlee
> Don't know how to handle metatype DiveObjectHelperGrantlee
> Don't know how to handle metatype DiveObjectHelperGrantlee
> Don't know how to handle metatype DiveObjectHelperGrantlee
> Don't know how to handle metatype DiveObjectHelperGrantlee
> Don't know how to handle metatype DiveObjectHelperGrantlee
> Don't know how to handle metatype DiveObjectHelperGrantlee
> Don't know how to handle metatype DiveObjectHelperGrantlee
> Don't know how to handle metatype DiveObjectHelperGrantlee
> Don't know how to handle metatype DiveObjectHelperGrantlee
> Don't know how to handle metatype DiveObjectHelperGrantlee
> Don't know how to handle metatype DiveObjectHelperGrantlee
> can't find a spot in the dataModel
> can't find a spot in the dataModel
> can't find a spot in the dataModel
> Don't know how to handle metatype DiveObjectHelperGrantlee
> Don't know how to handle metatype DiveObjectHelperGrantlee
>
> Googling the error message, I found that i had a similar problem before (and I don’t remember if it was eventually resolved) but there it was obscured by other errors about threads which I don’t have anymore.

This is an indication that you didn't run make install with consistent versions of Grantlee and Subsurface.