Subsurface-downloader

Robert Helling helling at atdotde.de
Fri Dec 4 23:44:24 PST 2020

Hi Willem,

> On 5. Dec 2020, at 07:36, Willem Ferguson <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za <mailto:willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za>> wrote:
>
> What is the minimum specs required for the Pi? There are many Pi models available these days. One of the issues I am concerned with is the availability of IrDA dive downoads which is slowly disappearing from most OSs. With a downloader one could maintain an IrDA stack, although it might have an effect on the kernel version used.

that’s an excellent point. Regarding specs I have to answer I don’t know, but the requirements should be pretty minimal. I have used, as my starting point, the the current Raspian which is based on Debian Buster. What is the status of IRDA support there? It seems it is not out of the box. With Google I found

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=235256 <https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=235256>

but I don’t understand if that helps. Do you understand what the situation is?

Of course, you could try to use older versions but that might have security implications as well.

Best
Robert