Proposal: mobile menu system

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Feb 11 21:21:18 PST 2020

> On Feb 11, 2020, at 7:22 PM, Willem Ferguson <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:
>
> The Mobile menu system is getting quite complex and if the developer options are enabled all the options often do not fit onto a smartphone screen. Would it make sense to reorganise the main menu?

Not sure what you mean by "all options". All menu options? Yes, that happens. But the drawer scrolls nicely.

> An obvious improvement is to get all the dive list operations together. These are: 1) Copy dive list to clipboard; 2) Map; 3) Dive summary. [(4) Export???]. Ideally these options should be available from the dive list itself. A possibility is the right-hand part of the banner at the top of the dive list. That would be the most intuitive way. The not-so-perfect alternative is to insert them as items on a new main menu item, "Dive list tools"

We don't have (1) above.
(2) I find the Map rather useless and would like to remove it as a menu option
(3) yeah, not sure this should be a top level item - but it doesn't reasonably fit under any of the existing items
(4) I find export fairly useless on a mobile device. This was something that a former developer who has stopped participating in this project absolutely wanted - but to me that is a weird feature on a mobile device (especially since we intentionally do not support the rather symmetrical "import" feature)

We will add a context drawer (extends from the right) in the near future - that will include options such as undo or trip management options on the dive list - but this requires a fundamental rewrite of the models used (Berthold and I have been working on this for several months). But I don't think that's useful for any of these menu entries. But I'm happy to contemplate this some more

> Maybe the Export option could be part of the Dive Management menu? Would Copy dive list to clipboard fit better here?

Again, at least my version of Subsurface-mobile doesn't support "copy dive list to clipboard".

> The About screen contains very little useful information. The software version has been removed and I cannot find it in the App log. Would it make sense to move the About screen to the Help menu?

That was a bug in the previous beta, the latest beta fixes this (also caused by code introduced by aforementioned developer).
I'm ok with moving "About" under "Help". Not the most logical spot for it, but on the flip side, it's not something people are likely to need very often.
We will need to update the manual with all that, of course. But then, the About screen has become even less important with the in-app support button.

This is all really good input and good food for thought.

Thanks