Proposal: mobile menu system

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Feb 11 22:11:44 PST 2020

> On Feb 12, 2020, at 7:26 AM, Stephen Goodall <stephen.goodall88 at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> I agree that having "About" under "Help" never seemed that logical....... however a lot of desktop apps do put it there :D
>
> I just checked Chrome, Eclipse, DBeaver and Notepad++
>
> Not very useful input there, sorry!

Actually, I think that's very useful input. It reminds me that on Windows (and often Linux) that is in fact the "natural" spot for "About".

With that in mind, here's what I'm considering:

- Dive list
- Dive management ->
  -- Add dive manually
  -- Download from DC
  -- Apply GPS fixes
  -- Manual sync with cloud
  -- Automatic sync with cloud
  -- Dive summary
  -- Export
- Location
  -- Map
  -- Show GPS fixes
  -- Clear GPS cache
  -- Run location service
- Settings
- Help
  -- About
  -- Show user manual
  -- Ask for support
  -- Reset password
{- Developer}

That gives us 5 (or 6 with Developer) main menu entries, the longest submenu is Dive management with 7 entries -- compared to the current 9 or 10 entries in the main menu.

What does that mean on your device? Well, that depends on screen size and font size. Our algorithms should ensure that you have at least 21 character widths horizontally (it's actually much more than that because of proportional fonts) and in the most extreme case that I could create for a 3:4 screen aspect ratio (as exists on some tablets) that leads to a 21x30 grid. And with that I still get six menu entries without scrolling... Phones generally are 16:9 or taller, so you'd have space for seven or more menu entries.
Yes, if you flip your phone into landscape then of course things get crowded, but hey, you asked for it...

Thoughts?