[Subsurface-divelog/subsurface] Filter: implement starts-with and exact modes (#2612)

Berthold Stoeger bstoeger at mail.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Feb 12 08:10:06 PST 2020

Hi Robert,

On Dienstag, 11. Februar 2020 07:44:56 CET Robert Helling wrote:

> on that topic, can you recommend a source (book, tutorial etc), that brings
> somebody who knows C sufficiently well up to speed with modern C++
> (including memory management, standard library, closures etc)? It shouldn’t
> be all from the start but just a diff to C and sufficiently compact so that
> I have a chance to get through it in the little time available that I
> unfortunately have?

I'm not really aware of such a document, sorry. There's a thing called cppfaq,
but it is woefully out-of-date and also has some questionable advice, if I
remember correctly. To get a quick overview, maybe you could glimpse through
the various "What's new in C++??" documents?

The major problem is that there are just so many different paradigms when it
comes to writing C++. My, admittedly not very helpful, advice would be to read
other peoples code and ask if something appears weird.

I started writing a rather long email on the common C++-resource management
idioms, but then it occurred to me that many of these things are in conflict
with Qt's way of doing things. Moreover I feel it would be too long for the
mailing list. If you are interested, I will finish these quick thoughts and
send them off-list.

Berthold