Obervations in iOS App

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Feb 14 10:22:08 PST 2020

> On Feb 14, 2020, at 2:08 AM, Rainer Mohr <mail at divelogs.de> wrote:
>
> Gentlemen,
>
> I sent feedback about the previous iOS version via the Testflight feedback functionality, but not sure if that reached anyone, as nothing has changed in the version I got notified about today, so just in case it got lost, here it is again:

No, I didn't get that. I will admit that the whole iTunes / Testflight feedback is rather frustrating. About half of the feedback appears to get lost (that's a guess, based on the people who tell me that they sent feedback - the ratio could of course be much higher). And those that I get are usually anonymized in ways that makes it impossible to follow up.

> Regarding the divelogs.de export (see screenshot):
>
> The labels of the username / password are a bit too wide, so that the input fields get pushed out of the box
> The password field might not want to show the password in clear text
> After tapping apply, I get the Message "Cannot prepare dives, none selected?". I could not figure out how to "select dives" anywhere, so no export possible for me

That export was implemented by a developer who is no longer working on Subsurface - and I have a lot of issues with it. Fundamentally I believe the approach is broken and not useful for a mobile environment.
My current inclination is to either completely remove it or to hide it somewhere under developer for those rare cases where it might be useful.
It is my personal failure as maintainer that I allowed this code to land in master without ensuring that it was sufficiently tested - this is obviously completely broken for divelogs.de <http://divelogs.de/>. A possible quick fix would be to always assume that the user wants to export all dives - but that brings with it other issues.

> Other observations:
>
> Toggling the "Show only one column in portrait mode" does nothing I can identify to any view. They look identical to me, list and single dive view all still have multiple columns. I use an iPhone X

IIRC even in small font mode an iPhone X will show only one column in portrait mode - so this option is indeed a no-op. But on several tablets we will offer two columns in portrait mode by default (e.g. on the current 11" iPad Pro). And there this option ensures that there's only one column instead, which was a specific request from an iPad user.

Makes more sense now?

I guess one thing would be to disable this option unless with the current screen you would get two columns in portrait mode. Something to think about :-)