load-git and event parsing

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Feb 14 10:27:50 PST 2020

> On Feb 14, 2020, at 10:24 AM, Linus Torvalds <torvalds at linux-foundation.org> wrote:
>
> Well, I'd prefer to not mess with the parsing code too  much, since it
> generally has worked.
>
> And the main use is actually for things like the notes section etc,
> where you get a whole line (or multiple lines!) in the string. So
> prefixes etc aren't wonderful.
>
> The "modechange" thing should never have been a string in the first
> place - it's not freeform, and it doesn't have spaces or anything like
> that in it.
>
> So it was not just violating the "don't do multiple strings for
> different things on the same line" format, it was unnecessary to begin
> with.
>
> For example, we don't make other things strings just because they
> aren't simple numbers.
>
> Anyway, I'll try to come up with something, including a fix for old
> files (ie maybe "if name and modechange matches, then the name is
> corrupt, lets fix it up").

Another obvious case where I as the maintainer merged something
that should have been fixed instead. Apologies.

Yes, I think the preferred way would be to go back to the "one string"
rule and have special case code for the instances where two strings
have been saved - and of course convert those back the next time the
data are saved.

Thanks for helping clean up my mess.