Obervations in iOS App

Rainer Mohr mail at divelogs.de
Fri Feb 14 14:51:15 PST 2020

Hi Dirk,

Am 14.02.20 um 19:22 schrieb Dirk Hohndel:
>> Regarding the divelogs.de <http://divelogs.de> export (see screenshot):
>>
>>   * The labels of the username / password are a bit too wide, so that
>>     the input fields get pushed out of the box
>>   * The password field might not want to show the password in clear text
>>   * After tapping apply, I get the Message "Cannot prepare dives,
>>     none selected?". I could not figure out how to "select dives"
>>     anywhere, so no export possible for me
>>

> That export was implemented by a developer who is no longer working on
> Subsurface - and I have a lot of issues with it. Fundamentally I
> believe the approach is broken and not useful for a mobile environment.
> My current inclination is to either completely remove it or to hide it
> somewhere under developer for those rare cases where it might be useful.
> It is my personal failure as maintainer that I allowed this code to
> land in master without ensuring that it was sufficiently tested - this
> is obviously completely broken for divelogs.de <http://divelogs.de>. A
> possible quick fix would be to always assume that the user wants to
> export all dives - but that brings with it other issues.

Don't talk about failure please, I find it pretty amazing what you guys
do! Thanks for all your work at this point!
Submitting all dives wouldn't be a problem on divelogs' side, as
existing dives would be skipped anyways, so feel free to decide what is
best on your side... If you send all dives, the import will only
consider new dives and neglect the existing ones.
If you opt to remove the exports, I'll be fine with that too!

>> Other observations:
>>
>>   * Toggling the "Show only one column in portrait mode" does nothing
>>     I can identify to any view. They look identical to me, list and
>>     single dive view all still have multiple columns. I use an iPhone X
>>

> IIRC even in small font mode an iPhone X will show only one column in
> portrait mode - so this option is indeed a no-op. But on several
> tablets we will offer two columns in portrait mode by default (e.g. on
> the current 11" iPad Pro). And there this option ensures that there's
> only one column instead, which was a specific request from an iPad user.
>
> Makes more sense now?
Yes, just tried on a 12 Inch iPad pro for the first time, here is does
make a difference (after toggling the option, killing and restarting the
app), then I do see a difference indeed. Pretty cool to see the two
column version, which I have not seen before, I'd opt to keep it in two
columns, but no idea how it would work on an iPad mini with less real
estate on the screen.

I really like the app, so a big thanks to everyone who participated! I
know from 15 years experience, that developers mostly just get the rants
about what does not work and seldom get a praise ot thanks for what does
work and makes a difference. So: good job guys! I'd love to see it
continue to evolve! :-)

Thanks,
Rainer