Obervations in iOS App

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Feb 15 17:55:51 PST 2020

> On Feb 14, 2020, at 2:51 PM, Rainer Mohr <mail at divelogs.de> wrote:
>> That export was implemented by a developer who is no longer working on Subsurface - and I have a lot of issues with it. Fundamentally I believe the approach is broken and not useful for a mobile environment.
>> My current inclination is to either completely remove it or to hide it somewhere under developer for those rare cases where it might be useful.
>> It is my personal failure as maintainer that I allowed this code to land in master without ensuring that it was sufficiently tested - this is obviously completely broken for divelogs.de <http://divelogs.de/>. A possible quick fix would be to always assume that the user wants to export all dives - but that brings with it other issues.
>
> Don't talk about failure please, I find it pretty amazing what you guys do! Thanks for all your work at this point!
> Submitting all dives wouldn't be a problem on divelogs' side, as existing dives would be skipped anyways, so feel free to decide what is best on your side... If you send all dives, the import will only consider new dives and neglect the existing ones.
> If you opt to remove the exports, I'll be fine with that too!

I'm am leaning towards keeping the export to divelogs.de <http://divelogs.de/> because that seems convenient for those who don't see value in the Subsurface Cloud. And if we simply select all dives this appears to be a fairly straight forward setup. I just pushed an update to the iOS beta which implements that.
The file based exports seem silly. I will definitely disable them on Android (where file access is already very limited and will be even more so in Android 11), but even on iOS I find them borderline (and the user experience with the file select box is hideous). So unless someone speaks up and tells me with a straight face that there is actual value in this, I'll remove that on iOS as well.

> I really like the app, so a big thanks to everyone who participated! I know from 15 years experience, that developers mostly just get the rants about what does not work and seldom get a praise ot thanks for what does work and makes a difference. So: good job guys! I'd love to see it continue to evolve! :-)

Indeed - I get a lot of email that make me question human nature. I have started to be much quicker in telling people to get lost (and I have by now explicitly blocked a few people from using the cloud storage that I provide for free because at a certain level of being assholes I just don't see the point of helping those people...).
But the thing that keeps me going are people like you and many of the others on this list. Positive, helpful, excited.

Thanks for that. And for the great collaboration over the years.