cloud / git storage error handling

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Jun 11 10:26:19 PDT 2020

I tried to trace through all the error cases to understand better why
our users are seeing some of the errors they are seeing. And I find the
code fairly easy to read, but the way we do and do not pass error
situations up the stack and the complete lack of useful error logging
are rather frustrating.

As I mentioned, I want to cut a new release in the next couple of days,
but maybe someone (Hi Linus!) could go through git-access and load-git
/ save-git and simply add some logging (i.e., writing to stderr) of
what we encounter and why we give up. And maybe make sure that the fact
that we failed to sync with the cloud server when asking to do so gets
reported back to the UI. The UI code to show those errors is likely not
something we want to do today - but the improved logging would really
help.

Thanks