cloud / git storage error handling

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Jun 12 09:47:46 PDT 2020

> On Jun 12, 2020, at 9:02 AM, Berthold Stoeger <bstoeger at mail.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
>
> Hi Dirk,
>
> On Donnerstag, 11. Juni 2020 19:26:19 CEST Dirk Hohndel via subsurface wrote:
>> I tried to trace through all the error cases to understand better why
>> our users are seeing some of the errors they are seeing. And I find the
>> code fairly easy to read, but the way we do and do not pass error
>> situations up the stack and the complete lack of useful error logging
>> are rather frustrating.
>
> Can you reproduce the problems locally, or do we depend on getting information
> from the user's side?

The reason that I wanted to add debugging output is that I frequently cannot reproduce the issue.
And we fundamentally do a terrible job reporting issues to the user (especially the mobile app
in several situations happily claims that it successfully synced when in fact it failed to sync). And
when I decided to make the Subsurface Cloud "more user friendly" we not only stopped reporting
errors to the user, we also stopped logging what's going on. So we don't know if it's authentication,
or an issue finding the right branch, or...

I was hoping someone had the time to do it yesterday - and I had thought I'd have plenty of free
time today, but it seems neither happened / is happening. I'm undecided if I want to spend the
~ 3 hours that I will have later today on creating a release, or if I delay the release and instead
deal with Debian packages and other nonsense that's on my todo list.

Still leaning towards getting a release out, TBH