renaming the default branch to 'main'

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Jun 15 13:01:04 PDT 2020

Hi Everyone,

As the maintainer, sometimes I just get to make decisions. This may be one of those times.
Over the last couple of weeks there have been a lot of conversations about this, GitHub considering renaming the default branch for all new projects is maybe one of the more visible ones, but a lot of projects have started to talk about doing this for their existing repositories as well.

The term 'master' is a reference to 'master' and 'slave'.

I strongly believe that words matter. And that sometimes it's the small things where we can show respect.

I am at this point working through the steps it will take to rename our default branch to be 'main'. The simple mechanics of doing so and adjusting the references to that branch is actually straight forward. It's trying to test for all the unintended consequences and side effects where I still am in the early stages.

So this is just a heads up that this will happen "at some point in the near future".

Thanks