mailing list changes

Robert Helling helling at atdotde.de
Sat Mar 7 01:54:57 PST 2020

Dirk,

> On 6. Mar 2020, at 23:52, Dirk Hohndel via subsurface <subsurface at subsurface-divelog.org <mailto:subsurface at subsurface-divelog.org>> wrote:
>
> The biggest difference is, of course, that a simple 'reply' is no longer going
> to the author of the email that you are responding to, but to the whole
> list...

hmm, I am not sure this is the only difference: In the apple mail reader for example, this thread now looks like

That is, you cannot tell anymore who wrote that message (the xxx via subsurface <subsurface at subsurface-divelog.org <mailto:subsurface at subsurface-divelog.org>> appears above quotes, though), in particular since many people don’t sign their messages with their name. I think, this is worse than people with misconfigured DMARK and DKIM cannot post to the mailing list (note that the problem is on the sender side since those people have too strict rules when posting to mailing lists, not on the receivers’ end).

If you really want to rewrite from addresses, rather rewrite joe.dorfnuts at mysetupisbroken.com <mailto:joe.dorfnuts at mysetupisbroken.com> to joe at mysetupisbroken.com.invalid <mailto:joe at mysetupisbroken.com.invalid>-removeme

Best
Robert