releasing Subsurface-mobile 3.0 on Android

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Mar 29 11:14:27 PDT 2020

On Sun, 2020-03-29 at 16:05 +0200, Willem Ferguson via subsurface
wrote:
> Below
> is my experience on a Galaxy J2 (a basic phone) using Android 7.1.1
> and
> running Subsurface-mobile V4.9.3.1229

Is there a reason why you aren't running the current release?

> Upon activating the software,  I get a message "No dives in dive
> list"
> this stays on screen about 5 seconds.
> This is because of a file permission problem because the dive log is
> not
> in the folder where Subsurface-mobile expects it to be.

Not at all. This is the time it takes to build the full text index on
your rather old / low performance phone. This isn't a dig about your
phone, it's simply an explanation for the relatively long wait.

That said, I think we should change the message that we show there.
It would make much more sense if the message said something like
"preparing the dive list".

> I append the log to this mail.
>
> Then it says "Dives loaded from local dive data file" and the dive
> list
> is shown as expected.

Good.

> When I tap the filter button, nothing happens.

You don't see anything happen. If you gently pull down on the dive
list, I am quite certain that you will see the filter header on top.
For some reason QML is no longer showing that header by default and I
need to see if I can figure out why that is the case :-(

> When I double-tap the filter button, the onscreen keyboard opens, but
> no
> filter text box is presented.

There is actually no specific double-tap action - but weirdly when you
do open-close-open, then on the second open it does show the virtual
keyboard - but not on the first. Again, no idea why, something to
investigate.

> With the onscreen keyboard open I blindly continue to type some text
> and
> hit the RETURN key on the on-screen keyboard.

Again, a slight scroll down would show you the text entry field.

> The correct dives are filtered. When I tap on the filter button now,
> the
> full dive list is shown again, as expected.

Good.

> One other issue:
> When opening the Undo/Redo menu and I select the Android Return
> button
> (NOT the X-button the left of the Undo/Redo menu), I exit
> Subsurface-mobile. This is counter-intuitive. Upon hitting the
> Android
> RETURN button, it should just close the Undo/Redo menu. This should
> probably apply to all submenus

By RETURN you mean the back arrow?
Yeah, that's definitely a bug.

> At some stage I unexpectedly got a message "Dive log synced with
> cloud",
> which was unexpected as I did NOT switch on the autosync feature. I
> have
> strong feelings about this issue: in the past syncing from mobile
> made
> unwanted changes to the cloud dive log. This defect is not
> represented
> in the log file below. I could try and find a repeatable way of
> letting
> this unwanted sync happen.

I'd be interested in seeing this in a log file. But please with the
current production version (3.0.1 - 4.9.3.1251) as that has some rather
significant changes in the way we access storage.

> One final moan. I attach a screenshot of a dive with a rather long
> location title. The text overlap with the date/time is obvious. I do
> not
> know if there is a solution for this.

>From past interactions with you on similar issues I know that your
screen has some rather extreme font size to screen size ratio. The
layout tends to work fairly well for more usual font/screen ratios, but
even there I can force similar issues with extremely long location
names. I need to figure out how to better deal with that scenario.
Something else for the todo list.