releasing Subsurface-mobile 3.0 on Android

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Mar 31 09:32:36 PDT 2020

On Tue, 2020-03-31 at 10:13 +0200, Willem Ferguson wrote:
> See the screencast at:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/olji337v2bw6mqy/20200331_094957.mp4?dl=0

Thanks for doing that. This is always SO MUCH EASIER to understand if I
can see the interaction in front of you. I really appreciate that you
are going through the effort of creating and uploading those videos.

> 1) I open the dive list and hit the undo/redo button from the dive
> list
>
> The undo/redo button opens. Ok so far.
>
> I close the undo menu using the BACK button. The submenu closes
> correctly.
>

> 2) I select another dive in the dive list. This opens the dive
> info/profile panel.

Small correction. You are not "selecting another dive". You are for the
first time selecting a dive. You start out with no dive selected (which
is why there are no dive specific options in the context menu in step
1) above).

> I select the undo/redo button.
>
> Then I try to close it using the BACK button.
>
> This adds three more options to the undo/redo menu but does not
> close
> the submenu.

The odd thing here is that the drawer stays open. The change that you
see is the switch from the 'dive details' context menu to the 'dive
list' context menu. So some options that are available through the
action button when you are viewing a dive are only available through
the context menu on the dive list (that's 'delete' and 'show on map')

Arguably, the 'mark as invalid' option should be on the 'dive details'
context menu as well. I need to fix that.

> I then close it using the proper X button on the left.
>
> This shows the dive list as expected.
>

> 3) I hit the undo/redo button *without selecting a different dive*.

Wait, what? We don't have an 'undo/redo button'. Do you mean the three
dots for the context menu?

> The undo/redo submenu opens.

I think you are calling the 'context menu' the 'undo/redo submenu' and
the 'context menu button' the 'undo/redo button'?

> I hit the BACK button and the submenu closes as expected.
>

> This may mean that some tweak is needed when the undo/redo menu is
> opened from the dive info/profile panel.

Yes, I need to add a handler to the 'dive details' page to make sure
that we only go back if the menus aren't open. This should be straight
forward.

> But the puzzling part is why 3 options are added to the undo menu
> when
> the BACK button is pressed.

I hope I have sufficiently explained why you are seeing this change
(and of course once I fix the issue with the menus closing before going
back, you won't see this confusing effect anymore).

> > Thanks for that. Obviously a bug, I'll look into that later today.
> >
> You must have looked at this because with this version (1277) the
> numbers correspond to those calculated in Subsurface Linux Desktop.

Correct. I responded to your email a second time, pointing out that
this was caused by you having one of the few 32bit devices still in use
(right now that's less than 8% of our users).
None of my usual test devices are 32bit, so I missed that...