Proposal: Statistics in Subsurface

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Thu May 7 05:37:02 PDT 2020

I have been thinking  a long time about graphical statistics facilities
for Subsurface, that is presenting the dive statistics as bar graphs or
other types of graphics.

1) In doing so, I looked at the yearly statistics as implemented at the
moment and realised that this is actually a pretty comprehensive
statistical framework and that it would be inefficient to write a
separate code base for graphical statistical presentation. The current
code for statistics is somewhat complicated but perfectly workable.

2) The current statistics tab, accessible from the Notes Panel (i.e. the
statistics tab adjacent to the Information tab) actually largely
duplicates what can be obtained from the Yearly statistics panel. The
only difference is that, currently, the Yearly statistics calculates
results based on the whole dive log, while the Statistic tab presents
results for all the dives selected on the dive list. However,
yearlystatisticsmodel.cpp already already has code that in principle
allows calculations for the *selected* dives in the dive log: it is just
not activated as far as I can see.

3) The main problem with the yearly statistics is that the table is
pretty large. In order to make this more user friendly, my proposal is
to break the yearly statistics table into smaller chunks and move them
over to the Statistics tab.

4) This would bring all the statistics together in one place. Seeing
that the info in the Statistics tab has no one-to-one connection with
the dive profile being displayed, the question arises: should the
statistics tab not be elevated to the main menu rather than a tab within
the Notes Panel ??

5) What I am thinking of is to break up the results for yearly
statistics and move them over to the statistics tab. The interface may
perhaps be a dropdown list corresponding to all the headings on the
left-hand side of the yearly statistics. Another dropdown list would
have information similar to the column headings of the yearly
statistics. One would then select an item from each of the dropdown
lists and this would bring up the relevant numbers as well as a
graphical representation of these numbers. The min, max and average
numbers currently shown in the statistics tab needs to be made
accessible in some way, but probably integrated with the above
somewhere. This would mean that the existing statistical infrastructure
largely remains as is, it is just the UI for showing the results that
changes.

Does this look like a viable approach at all?

Kind regards,

willem

Please refer to
http://upnet.up.ac.za/services/it/documentation/docs/004167.pdf