RFC: Statistics in Subsurface

Berthold Stoeger bstoeger at mail.tuwien.ac.at
Mon May 11 14:22:57 PDT 2020

On Montag, 11. Mai 2020 23:02:32 CEST Dirk Hohndel wrote:

> >> BUT: would this mean that the existing filter panel be rewritten in QML
> >> to be mobile-compatible?
> >
> > This is not necessary. The filter code is generic and we only need a tiny
> > display layer on top. Let's not introduce QML where not absolutely
> > necessary.
> You are correct. It isn't necessary.
> But at the same time, assuming we want to go down this rabbit hole of using
> this as a way to define groupings in statistics, then yes, we most likely
> want the exact same options for filtering here and there. Which is easiest
> done by sharing the same QML widget.

They should have the same fields (although even that is debatable) - they
should not be forced to have the same layout. Let's try to separate display
from logic. If we keep the display layer sufficiently thin, then the
flexibility outweighs the redundancy (and we minimize suffering owing to QML).
To be clear: I'm talking about the filter widget.

> > Generally, I wouldn't try to do the all-in-one solution. There are two
> > kinds of statistics, which I would treat separately. Firstly, an overview
> > over a defined set of dives with filter presets. Secondly, temporal
> > progressions (e.g. development of SAC rate, grouped by day / week / month
> > / year).
> I'm not sure what you are saying here. Are you suggesting that we should
> not try to have the same statistics module for desktop and mobile?

No - what I'm saying is that there are different kinds of statistics, which
should be treated mostly separately. E.g. pie charts vs. temporal
progressions.

Berthold