Re-syncing with Jef's upstream..

Jef Driesen jef at libdivecomputer.org
Tue May 12 08:12:25 PDT 2020

On 8/05/2020 00:57, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Ok, so I've just spent several hours re-synchronizing our subsurface
> branch with Jef's upstream.

I'll have a look, allthough that might take a while. Been a bit busy with real
life during the corona crisis (day job, kids and family), so a bit less time
left for libdivecomputer right now :-(

> Jef - that "Suunto Eon Steel: sort the dive list properly" commit is
> very much a bug-fix. You should take it, regardless of any subsurface
> interface issues.

A wasn't aware of any issues there. I will look into it.

> So is the BlueLink Pro thing, for that matter.

The bluelink pro fix is a bit problematic. There are indeed cases where
splitting the command makes things work (mainly for subsurface users it seems).
But I have also reports where it actually causes the communication to fail,
while the plain libdivecomputer version works fine. So the result is that
whatever approach we take, it's going to break for some users. That's why I
didn't apply that change.

So far I haven't been able to figure out what the pattern is. Is this something
related to the dive computer model, the operating system, or the BLE framework
(Qt, .NET, Android)? I want to collect some information on that, to see if we
can implement something that works for everyone. I'll need some more data from
users.

Another thing that crossed my mind is to implement some kind of autodetection.
Start with one approach, and if that fails switch to the other one.

> The rest is mostly either new backends (ie the Garmin Descent and the
> Deeplu Cosmiq), or the extended string interface support.
>
> Anyway, exactly *because* the new tree is bit-for-bit identical
> between the NG and DS9 branches, there's no difference on a code level
> between the two, and the only real difference is that DS9 makes it
> much easier to see what the changes are from Jef's point.

I usually do a diff once in a while to check the changes, but this is certainly
easier!

Jef