[OS X] git-load: string marker after running out of strings ('name')

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Tue May 12 10:55:43 PDT 2020

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 4:04 AM Attilla de Groot via subsurface
<subsurface at subsurface-divelog.org> wrote:

> Since the upgrade to 4.9.4 I get the message "git-load: string marker
> after running out of strings ('name’)” in a large red bar on the
> bottom of the window when starting Subsurface. It doesn’t seem to
> affect anything.

The problem isn't new, it's just that now we report about it. We had a
problem with a save format that would corrupt the event name for dive
mode changes. We actually have a fix in place so that we restore the
event names, but the warning will happen every time you load a dive
that has that old sign of corruption.

So it's benign, and we probably should make the warning much less
noticeable (just put it in the logs as a debug message).

> Is there anything I can provide to give some more useful information on this?

Don't worry about it, and you should probably just ignore it (at least
as long as it says 'name' or 'description' - the first is about a
divemode event, the second is a similar error we had wrt cylinder
descriptions).

The error is very prominent because there was some worry that we had
other issues going on, but I think we sorted it all out and we should
just de-emphasize it.

I'll send Dirk a pull request to just remove the warning.

                   Linus