RFC: Statistics in Subsurface

Hartley Horwitz hhrwtz at gmail.com
Tue May 12 18:38:15 PDT 2020

I really like the idea of building the filters incrementally.  This style
of user interface is showing up in other tools I use, so I think it will
feel familiar.   I also believe most people filter on just one thing most
of the time, then occasionally go for more complex filters with many
criteria.  At least that's my pattern of use.

> > once the user picks one, that is added to the list and can be populated.
> > In the example the user first added 'date' and then 'tags'.
> > The tags one shows the idea of having additional options (all/any/none
> and
> > substr/starts/exact, just like we have today). Using font size and font
> > color to make this seem less cluttered.

Later on, Dirk is asking questions about visualization of the stats.
That's a tough one.  I"m not convinced we're a good judge of the average
user.  For example, the box & wiskers plots are something I deal with at
work, so they are very familiar and compact.  That said, some of my
colleagues look at those things blankly, especially when the distributions
are non gaussian.   I don't know how to satisfy all, but I think good
filtering and simple min/mean/max are already valuable.

...Hartley