RFC: Statistics in Subsurface

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Wed May 13 08:10:23 PDT 2020

On 2020/05/12 23:51, Dirk Hohndel wrote:

> So here's a bad sketch:

Not a bad sketch. In fact the concept behind it all is excellent. One
thing that I pick up here is that no filter is specified here. How would
the proposed UI below affect the present filtering facility? Will that
be replaced by a more simple filter mechanism or will it remain
unchanged? The way I read this, the existing filter would not be changed
(which would personally like). But your idea of filter sets is not
raised here at all. I assume that this is a different topic that is not
being dropped, I hope?

> First you pick your values and your grouping. Most of them are
> box/whiskers, the two that have just a simple # per column could be
> just a plain line graph of bar chart.
> Then you pick the grouping (i.e. x-axis)

The grouping dropbox would obviously require an item "No grouping", i.e.
the full dataset. If this proposal will not affect the existing filter
mechanism, then by default the graphing will only work on marked dives
(i.e. the result of filtering using the filter tool) *if indeed any
dives have been marked by the filter* (i.e. the filter is active).

> Once you pick one, if needed, there's a way to specify even further

This is just a brainstorm that may help to get granularity articulated
in a useful way and the way it would work in practice. For the
granularity above, the options could be

Time: montly, yearly, fixed no columns

Trip: I cannot think of any granularity options. Stats evaluated per trip.

Depth: Increments of 5m, 10m, 20m, fixed no columns

Duration: Increments of 10 min, 20 min, 30 min, fixed no columns

Temp: Increments of 2, 5 10 degrees, fixed no columns

All the categorical variables: I think your suggestion as for tags below
is excellent: text box.

For stats based on an "air/not_air" or "drysuit/no_drysuit" basis, a
mechanism would be required.  A "drysuit/no_drysuit" equipment analysis
would then be specified in the textbox by e.g. "drysuit, opposite".

> For example, with by time with a fixed # of columns we would create
> something that feels "semi reasonable" that gets us the right number
> of columns.
> You've been diving for ten years and want seven columns, so... groups
> of 18 months?
>

> What am I missing? What could be better?

I honestly cannot think of any obvious improvement. We will make a UI
designer of you yet. The # of columns above would obviously only be
active for numeric variables since it would not serve a purpose for
categorical variables such as tags.

>>> As far as specifying categories like tags I like the present UI
>>> where one could specify a number of tags to be included in the
>>> filter, giving great flexibility. Again my impression of such a plot
>>> possibly differs from yours. I like your binary set idea (a set
>>> including compared to a set excluding). But I would more
>>> realistically often want to compare (e.g. SAC when comparing two
>>> tags "air" and "nitrox"), a use case which does not necessarily
>>> imply a binary comparison because it could compare 3 or 4 tags. Does
>>> this make sense at all?
>>>

>> It makes sense for people who are able to use sets of tags in a
>> meaningful way - one could have a mutually exclusive set of three
>> tags (say, air, nitrox, trimix) and create statistics over them. Of
>> course the results become "strange" if dives potentially have
>> multiple of those tags.
>> Again, to get this "mostly right" is fairly easy. To cover all the
>> crazy corner cases is what's hard.

Kind regards,

willem

Please refer to