RFC: Statistics in Subsurface

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed May 13 08:50:58 PDT 2020

Hi Pedro

> On May 13, 2020, at 6:26 AM, Pedro Neves via subsurface <subsurface at subsurface-divelog.org> wrote:
>
> Adding my comments to this discussion...

I am so happy to hear more voices in this conversation.

> Attached you'll find a list of the stats I currently have for my logs. I use the csv export facility and do everything in R, using RMarkdown. The only thing missing so far is the SAC analysis, because Subsurface doesn't (yet) exports the SAC.
>
> The file Subsurface_stats.pdf gives an idea of the kind on analysis I do (just basic stuff, really) and the PLots.pdf file show a few visualization ideas for some of the stats. I do not mean to impose on any one else's ideas - It's just an attempt to maybe summarize and help the discussion. While other users might have different needs, I think the basic stats are covered...

The zero based bar charts with whiskers for for min / max are interesting. Why do you prefer those over the floating bars (indicating min/max) with a line or dot to mark the average?
I think either is fine, I'm just curious if you have a reason for picking this one that would push me to prefer that as well :-)

Also (and I've seen this in other places), why the horizontal bars for years? I would most likely have always done vertical bars, but again, maybe there's a good reason that I'm missing?

Again, thanks for chiming in.