RFC: Statistics in Subsurface

Christof Arnosti charno at charno.ch
Thu May 14 03:30:31 PDT 2020

Hi together,

Thank you very much for the verrrrrry nice mockup, Pedro! I really like
this!

Let me give some thoughts from a more-or-less outsider perspective in
this discussion.

From a UI-Perspective, I would prefer the layout to be "Dive List top
left", "Filter top right", "Stats selection bottom left", "Stats display
bottom right". This is with the reasoning that (in the western world) we
work from top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right, and the
logical Workflow would be to have the dive list as input, which is then
filtered, then the statistics selected and finally the output. This
workflow could also be applied as sort of a wizard for mobile devices.

For selecting the graph type (the bar vs boxplot discussion): Could this
also be implemented as an option in the "Stats selection" section? I
think it's obvious that some people prefer the more advanced boxplot
version, and some the easier to understand bar/line graph version.

Another (third? fourth?) option I just tought of was a boxplot with
included histogram, where the histogram is displayed as color (instead
of a curve). I have attached an image of a short mockup (Where red means
more, and green means less). I'm not sure if that's a good idea, but at
least it's an idea ;-)

About graph orientation: I strongly agree that the bars (or boxes or
whatever) should be vertical, so that the time-axis (or trip axis or
whatever) is the z axis. This is (at least for me) the natural way to
read graphs, and also what's currently done in the dive-display.

And as a last point a proposal for a little visual gimmick: I would
really like to have the value-axis for depth turned around, so that the
0-point is on top of the graph (like in the current dive-graph). With
this, the visual representation of the data is the same as in the
physical reality, lower means lower.

Best regards
Christof