RFC: Statistics in Subsurface (Willem Ferguson)

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu May 14 13:41:18 PDT 2020

> On May 14, 2020, at 1:09 PM, Hartley Horwitz via subsurface <subsurface at subsurface-divelog.org> wrote:
>
> I know this plot as a 'beeswarm'.  I'm not sure if that's a universally used term, but I use those in Spotfire (a large statistics tool).  I thought I should show the same type of plot that contains a bit more data, because it changes the view somewhat.  So here's a collection of data with more than 100 data points, categorized 7 different ways.  I've cut out the labels because this isn't data extracted from anything remotely associated with diving.
>

> Is this clear to people?  I love beeswarm for my job. I do find these tend to balloon outwards (in width) as the data population increases.
>
> I'm not sure beeswarm is so clear to the average diver, but maybe I underestimate the userbase.

Definitely provides even more information about the data. And I think it works very well with truly discrete data.
If I look at my dives, the number of dives with exactly the same max depth is fairly low - same for exactly the same temperature. With SAC rate it's better, mostly because of the issue of number of significant digits that I'd tolerate there.
What I'm trying to say is that I'm not sure that it would generate graphs that are as clear and useful as your example. One way to address that would be more aggressive rounding, i.e. create something like 30 "buckets" for the values... but now we can start bike-shedding that process and how it affects the outcome.

I was actually idly browsing to see if there is a QML chart library that makes it easy to create such plots, either the one dimensional scatter plots or your beeswarms, but a quick Google search came up empty... because at this point I'd love to see how this would look for some sample dive logs...