RFC: Statistics in Subsurface

Pedro Neves nevesdiver at gmail.com
Sat May 16 13:05:02 PDT 2020

On 16/05/20 17:22, Dirk Hohndel via subsurface wrote:

> I'd argue that's six (but that's because of my potential additions):
> two values:
> - Bar chart
> - Dot graph
> - Scatter plot
> three values:
> - Stacked bar chart
> - Dot graph with colors
> - Scatter plot with colors.
>
>> I hope this appears somewhat useful in the present discussion.
>>

> Yes, I think this was super useful.
>
> There are a few questions in my response that I think would benefit
> from more thought / responses.
>
> And then maybe some more exploration of how things would work to
> - pick which categories to show (for some the number is likely small
> enough, but for tags, full text, and possibly trip you'd want to be
> able to select those that you want to plot
> - pick the grouping of date
> - enter the granularity for "near continuous" variables (depth,
> duration, temperature)
>
> Once we have sketches / proposals for those, I think we have the UI
> side handled and can design the backend data model that would be able
> to provide those data.
>
> And then start implementing and iterating :-)

Hi all:

Thanks Willem for your work. It helped me getting back on track ;-)

Regarding the plots, I agree with your choice; the only one I don't like
(because I have trouble understanding it) is the stacked bar charts ;-)
But I have no better suggestion, besides faceting  (which is what I
normally do in R) ...

Now, regarding the implementation, I'm not sure what will be possible to
implement with the available frameworks. I'm afraid that we might be
getting ahead of ourselves with all this. Someone mentioned that people
who like statistics will probably continue to use stats platform to
analyse their diving data (I know I will), and we need to keep stats in
Subsurface simple (in terms of workflow, and in terms of code). I think
that some of the stuff we've been discussing will be "easy" to implement
(but I might be wrong), but others will be harder... Nevertheless I have
no clue about programming, so take this opinion with a grain of salt...

In more practical terms, and thinking about Dirk's questions:

1. imagine I want to plot some of my tags against the number of dives.
We would need another box, or something (see attachment). Now, I've used
only a few of my tags, and I'm wondering:

1.1. how many tags can one select to plot?

1.2 does it make any sense to plot together unrelated tags? Like,
activities (photo, instruction) with equipment or environments? Maybe it
does... And even if it doesn't, shall we prevent users from doing it
(how? why?)

I need to think some more about this...

Cheers:

Pedro