Fwd: Re: RFC: Statistics in Subsurface

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Sun May 17 03:33:37 PDT 2020

On 2020/05/16 18:22, Dirk Hohndel wrote:

> I'd argue that's six (but that's because of my potential additions):
> two values:
> - 1) Bar chart
> - 2) Dot graph
> - 3) Scatter plot
> three values:
> - 4) Stacked bar chart
> - 5) Dot graph with colors
> - 6) Scatter plot with colors.

We need to think about the UI for selecting the third variable. My idea
was to use the Granularity dropbox for this purpose.

For case (4) above, only two options for the 3rd variable are available
(total no. dives and total dive time). The 3rd variable provides for the
units along the vertical axis. Because of the fact that a stacked bar
graph indicates the sum of some discrete components, none of the other
variables that we considered would make sense within this context.

In contrast, for cases (5) and (6) above, the 3rd variable is probably a
*categorical* variable e.g. suit type, dive type or one or more tags. We
might have a dot graph of SAC rate using different suits (case 5) or of
SAC rate against dive depth (case 6) where the dots are colour-coded to
represent dive mode. This would require a key to explain the different
colours as presently in the stacked bar chart. Here are two mockups for
this type of situation:

As a side note it is in principle possible for case (5) and (6) above to
include a *continuous* 3rd variable e.g. a scatter plot of SAC versus
dive depth where the colour of the dots indicate the water temperature
of each dive. Here is a mockup of what I would call case (6a):

But this will require a different level of complexity in calculation and
visual presentation.

What I am leading up to is that, if the Granularity dropbox is used for
specifying the 3rd variable in cases (4) to (6) above, then these cases
will not use the same 3rd variables. [case (4): no dives & total dive
time; case (5) and (6): categorical (as well as continuous??)
variables]. That would require that either some variables are greyed out
in the Granularity dropbox, or that the Granularity dropbox is populated
with a custom set of alternatives for each of these cases.

Kind regards,

willem

Please refer to
http://upnet.up.ac.za/services/it/documentation/docs/004167.pdf