RFC: Statistics in Subsurface

Berthold Stoeger bstoeger at mail.tuwien.ac.at
Sun May 17 15:16:44 PDT 2020

On Dienstag, 12. Mai 2020 07:46:00 CEST Berthold Stoeger via subsurface wrote:
> On Dienstag, 12. Mai 2020 00:02:06 CEST Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> > Here's a crazy idea how this could look for example:
> >
> > The filters are built incrementally, with a drop down menu that allows you
> > to add criteria or constraints. Like date range, tags, people, etc
>
> Seems easy enough. I can prototype this by the end of the week. If someone
> else wants to try this - please tell so that we can avoid duplication of
> effort.

Small update: I started implementing such a multi-constraint filter and so far
I like the idea, as it allows for more filter criteria (e.g. depth, day-of-
week, month-of-year, phase-of-the-moon, etc) without cluttering the interface.
This appears to be useful independently of the statistics topic.

So far, the string-based searches (tags, people, etc) seem to work fine.
Others, such as temperature (units!), ratings, etc. still need some work.

That said, I find the whole model/view business very tiresome. We have a
strongly typed language on both sides (core and UI) and yet have to squeeze
everything through Qt's weakly typed and ill-thought-out QVariant. Moreover,
the whole Qt model/view API is not one of the parts that turned out nicely.
Lots of error-prone boilerplate for no gain.

Berthold