UI for dealing filter sets

Berthold Stoeger bstoeger at mail.tuwien.ac.at
Mon May 25 10:54:50 PDT 2020

Hi Willem,

On Montag, 25. Mai 2020 17:49:57 CEST Willem Ferguson wrote:

> My idea was to add the tools for dealing with sets to the toolbar at the
> top of the filter panel. Something like the attached image with the set
> controls grouped together. What was your conception of the number of
> controls required? This image has three tools for manipulating sets, but
> two of them would be complex. Firstly, the Save set control would
> probably need to bring up a text box for naming the set to be saved.
> Secondly, the List sets combobox showing all the saved set names would
> need a right-click context menu for deleting a set and possibly for
> editing a set. The number of tools should probably be minimised but on
> the other hand the interface should be as intuitive as possible. What
> are your thoughts?

This is in principle one of the two designs that I had in mind. The
other one would have been an extra tab for the management of the sets in
analogy to the dive-site tab (including e.g. renaming of sets).

I am not sure whether I understand the "Clear sets" button. Would it clear all
the sets? My original idea was to have a "Clear current set" button instead of
right-click.

I was also contemplating if there should be a "default" set, which can't be
deleted and is activated if the user switches to the filter.

Another question to ponder: If the user selects a set and changes the filter
constraints, is the selected set overwritten or does the user have to
explicitly save the set?

Berthold