towards Subsurface 4.9.8

Kim Delmar kimxdelmar at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 23:11:16 PST 2020

The other thing that would REALLY help me is if people could test the
> latest test binaries across ALL platforms. Both 32bit and 64bit Windows.
> Both macOS 10.13/14 and 10.15/11.0. As many of the Linux distros as
> possible.

I've tested the following combinations:

1. Ubuntu 18.04; locally built from latest git: Subsurface
4.9.7-248-g360123d432a9
2. MacOS 10.15.7 Catalina, installer from /downloads
Subsurface-4.9.7-248-g360123d432a9.10.15+11.0.dmg
3. Windows 7(!) 64-bit: installer from /downloads,
subsurface-4.9.7-247-g1d7a44ea855.exe

Dive computer download tests are from a Shearwater Perdix - non-AI, but it
has the newer BLE hardware so Subsurface detects it as a Perdix AI.  I
tested by downloading ~170 dives, using both firmwares v72 and v81 (no
differences seen).

Problems common to all platforms:
- in the dive computer "device names" tab, all three columns
(Mode/DevID/Nickname) are too narrow by default, all columns need to be
widened to read the headers and table data.
- Filter set names can be saved with embedded HTML tags, and when reloaded
the HTML tags are rendered directly as HTML in the "Current set" field. I
dont know if it could be exploited to do XSS by loading a malicious dive
log.  I couldnt find any other user-inputted text that behaves like this,
only the displayed filter set save names.

- Filter set save names are mangled if you use the ampersand character. "&
" (with trailing space) gets rendered as "_".  Seems reasonable to have a
filter set named "Alice & Bob" for your dives with both Alice and Bob.
Workaround is to name the filter set "Alice && Bob".

1. Ubuntu 18.04:
Perdix BLE downloads worked OK using the Shearwater-supplied CSR dongle.
- There's no User manual menu item in my build. I expect I did something
wrong when I built from source. A quick test of the prebuilt AppImage from
/downloads (Subsurface-4.9.7-247-g1d7a44ea8b55-x86_64.AppImage) shows it
has a functioning user manual.

2. MacOS Catalina (in dark mode):
No problems with the installer/signing.
- Perdix BLE downloads worked OK with the builtin MBP bluetooth, BUT in the
bluetooth "Choose Bluetooth download mode" popup, the panel which shows the
discovered BT devices show their names/uuids with white text on white
background :-(. Clicking on a device name makes the text show up, but its
not friendly to a new user who doesnt know how it is supposed to look.

Interestingly, BLE dive computer downloads were *much* faster on MacOS than
on Ubuntu. 3-4 seconds per dive on MacOS, 12-15 seconds per dive under
Ubuntu. Not sure if that is a consequence of the different BLE dongles in
use, or something else.

3. Windows 7:
No installer problems. Doesnt support BLE so cant test Perdix BLE downloads.

- There was a strange units/preference problem - weights were showing in
pounds, despite the preferences being set to metric. But the greyed-out
"personalized" settings showed a mix of metric/imperial, seems like this is
what was being used. Clicking "personalize" and back to "metric" reset
everything to metric and it all works as expected now, and I cant reproduce
it. I dont know how it got into this inconsistent state, but I rarely use
windows; it probably started up with a preference file from a much older
version.

Overall, everything worked pretty well, I didnt see any showstoppers.

-- Kim.