towards Subsurface 4.9.8

Kim Delmar kimxdelmar at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 22:29:29 PST 2020

On Sun, 8 Nov 2020 at 06:28, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> > On Nov 6, 2020, at 11:11 PM, Kim Delmar via subsurface <subsurface at subsurface-divelog.org> wrote:

> > 3. Windows 7(!) 64-bit: installer from /downloads, subsurface-4.9.7-247-g1d7a44ea855.exe
>
> Windows 7. NICE :-)

Hah! Rather insecure these days, and you cant BLE download with it.
But, if nothing else, it makes it easier to import old divelogs from
other Win7-based software into Subsurface.

> > - There's no User manual menu item in my build. I expect I did something wrong when I built from source. A quick test of the prebuilt AppImage from /downloads (Subsurface-4.9.7-247-g1d7a44ea8b55-x86_64.AppImage) shows it has a functioning user manual.
>
> You have to install QtWebKit-devel and then call the build.sh with '-build-with-webkit' in order to get the built in user manual...

Thanks - that worked. My local Ubuntu build has a manual now. Can this
flag be mentioned somewhere in the INSTALL document?

> > Interestingly, BLE dive computer downloads were *much* faster on MacOS than on Ubuntu. 3-4 seconds per dive on MacOS, 12-15 seconds per dive under Ubuntu. Not sure if that is a consequence of the different BLE dongles in use, or something else.
>
> It's a timing issue between the various layers of the code. Linus has tried to figure out why it sometimes gets so bleeping slow. 15 seconds times 170 dives... yeah, that takes 40 minutes... I'm impressed that the download completed, frankly.
> But of course, in normal use scenarios people rarely need to download more than half a dozen dives...

Yes indeed, 40 minutes. I went off and had lunch.  But yes, not really
a problem for typical usage on or after a dive trip.

I also tested if downloads still work from my beloved Aladin Pro dive computer.
They do still work. This filled my heart with great joy.

> > - There was a strange units/preference problem - weights were showing in pounds, despite the preferences being set to metric. But the greyed-out "personalized" settings showed a mix of metric/imperial, seems like this is what was being used. Clicking "personalize" and back to "metric" reset everything to metric and it all works as expected now, and I cant reproduce it. I dont know how it got into this inconsistent state, but I rarely use windows; it probably started up with a preference file from a much older version.
>
> Ugh, that's annoying. But yeah, that could be a left over from a previous run... if it's fixed after switching once, I'm leaning towards ignoring this one.

Agreed, not worth spending any time on this.

> > Overall, everything worked pretty well, I didnt see any showstoppers.
>
> I repeat, thank you so much. This is really a huge deal. I really wished that more people found the time to do similar tests... you alone already found half a dozen issues that we can now try to fix prior to the release.
>
> Much appreciated.
>
> /D

And a huge vote of thanks from me to all the developers. If we ever
meet on a dive trip somewhere, I owe you all a $BEVERAGE.

-- Kim.