4.9.8 is out

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Nov 10 15:53:13 PST 2020

Hi Everyone,

as usual, I wonder which thing I forgot this time. Because I ALWAYS forget something.

Stuart already found corrupted Windows executables in the download folder (that's fixed, I believe), but I'm sure there'll be something else that I've overlooked.

Sources are tagged, binaries are built, the update mechanism should work, the announcements are posted (only English, Spanish, and Dutch so far), the Download pages plus the link on the home page is updated.
I posted announcements to Scubaboard and to our user forum.

My sincerest thanks to everyone who has helped make it happen. The largest chunk of work comes from Berthold (as has been consistently the case for the past couple of years).

$ git shortlog -s -n v4.9.7..
   137  Berthold Stoeger
   102  Dirk Hohndel
     5  Robert C. Helling
     4  Willem Ferguson
     3  Linus Torvalds
     3  Jason Bramwell
     3  Doug Junkins
     2  Lubomir I. Ivanov
     1  Miika Turkia
     1  Salvador Cuñat

As always, this doesn't give credit to the translators, who have been awesome. And gives too much credit to me since a good chunk of my commits are all about the build infrastructure and random release tasks and stuff.

Please let me know if you figure out what I forgot to do this time - or with any other feedback you might have.

Thanks