cannot find a plugin named: googlemaps

Egbert de Pauw egbert at despaankamer.nl
Wed Nov 11 06:03:14 PST 2020

I am building subsurface from source, and when I run subsurface it
complains that it cannot find the googlemaps plugin.

I've build subsurface from source checked out the release tag v4.9.8

It did build and run correctly yesterday, before v4.9.8 was released.

System : Ubuntu 20.10 x86_64
Installed Qt versions 5.14.2 and 5.15.1

commands I've used :

cd ./subsurface
git fetch --all --tags --prune
git checkout tags/v4.9.8
git clean -xdf
cd ..
rm -rf ./install-root
rm -rf ./googlemaps
rm -rf ./build.log
./subsurface/scripts/build.sh

After the build, the libqtgeoservices_googlemaps.so has been built.

The message that's logged is:

MapWidget.qml: cannot find a plugin named: googlemaps
1 ,  "The geoservices provider is not supported."
qrc:/qml/MapWidget.qml:24: Error: Cannot assign [undefined] to
QDeclarativeGeoMapType*

So is there something broken in this tag or am I doing something wrong?

(On my windows machine the v4.9.8 version is working, except the TAG
filtering as mentioned before)

Kind regards,

Egbert de Pauw