releasing 4.9.10 and website updates

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Nov 23 09:01:08 PST 2020

Warning - slightly ranty email...

As I am working through the 4.9.10 release process I once again realized just how badly maintained our web presence is.

The announcements are now handled through GitHub and initially that gave us more consistent translations, but lately that hasn't been the case anymore.
We have only half of our 'usual' translations (German, Dutch, Spanish, Portuguese -- we never managed to get a volunteer to work on the French translations, sadly) for 4.9.9 and no translations for 4.9.10.
Part of this is likely that I have no targeted list of "owners" that I can reach out to.

What's far worse is that the subsurface-divelog.org/download <http://subsurface-divelog.org/download> page is a complete embarrassment. In any language. It's inconsistent between languages and it is flat out wrong in all of them.
Listing the wrong versions, making incorrect claims about compatibility, etc.

It would be lovely if someone could take on the task to create a GitHub.io <http://github.io/> page to replace this with. That was part of the motivation to move the announcements there. It's a simple git repo that accepts either html or markdown pages and that anyone can very easily contribute to: GitHub.com/subsurface/subsurface.github.io
Sure, I can add that to my todo list, but that one is overflowing to a degree that is really calling the viability of this project into question.

I'm on vacation this week and given the pandemic I'm of course not going anywhere, but if I hide in my office all week, staring at my computer just for other reasons than normal, I am reasonably certain that that doesn't qualify as a 'vacation'.

Anyway, 4.9.10 is making its way out, a couple of bug fixes and a completed Chinese/Taiwanese translation. My call here (and on Twitter) for more translators unfortunately didn't really bring in any additional people working on those that are falling behind... but don't get me wrong - the strong list of translations are a huge source of pride in this community. It is truly impressive.

In the meantime I'm continuing to work on the complete redo of the Android mobile app infrastructure (still chasing at least two glaring catastrophic bugs), Berthold and Willem are working on the stunning new statistics module for Subsurface 5.0, and Robert is playing with a headless downloader as companion for iPhone users...

So still cool things going on, just not a lot of people involved.