services should be back up - power outage

Jeroen Massar jeroen at massar.ch
Thu Oct 1 00:15:33 PDT 2020

On 20201001, at 07:00, Dirk Hohndel via subsurface <subsurface at subsurface-divelog.org> wrote:

>> On Sep 30, 2020, at 8:36 PM, Chirana Gheorghita Eugeniu Theodor <office at adaptcom.ro> wrote:
>>
>> What would be needed to have a secondary server in a new location? what setup are we talking about?
>
> It’s actually rather difficult to load-balance this without adding a ton (and I mean a TON) of infrastructure that I’m not really interested in maintaining. I have spent a bit of time trying to figure out if there’s a way to cheat and not need a storage engine, but if there is, I haven’t found any pointers on how to do this.

Do you have a mini description of the server side setup (code/fs/db)? Is it Git based?

> I do have a way to do a hot standby, I may have deleted that hot standby from AWS because I was ticked off about the money they charged me for it - when it never once got used. And this still had the problem with figuring out how to implement the traffic distribution without incurring even more AWS fees.

Active/standy should be fine for this purpose.

Just rsync/git-pull the stuff over, so that if the primary dies, that you can switch over manually.

Split-brain is the biggest issue in these kind of setups.

The fun detail is that basement servers are typically the most stable (except for the connectivity possibly), and if something breaks one can actually walk to that "datacenter" easily, often much quicker to fix too if one needs spare parts etc. And with cheap-ish power, and free cooling / colder environment (we got first snow at 1200m) it is price-wise cheaper than a colo'd box.

That said though, I use private colo'd servers (because of home connectivity not always being superb and could not get more than slow cable speeds and upload at home still is slow), if you need a secondary/third VM somewhere on a static IP (colo'd), don't hesitate to yell, more than happy to donate one for Subsurface (and I am sure others here can do the same; it is always funny the names you see on this list ;) ).

Also, the expertise + time for doing a full active-active version if one wants to go in that direction, I have setup my share of those systems.

But as you say,.... if it is 99.8% running, meh, is not life critical. Long live git.

>> On Thu, Oct 1, 2020, 01:31 Rick Walsh via subsurface <subsurface at subsurface-divelog.org> wrote:
>> To conserve money, much of the infrastructure is actually running in my basement.
>> All of course on a UPS, with redundant internet connection, etc.
>>
>> Power went out today. And my UPS failed.
>> I've always wondered what that U in UPS actually stands for.
>
> Oh, speaking of saving money… yeah, I bought a new UPS. Oh, and one of my little NUCs needed a bigger NVMe M.2 SSD.
> So maybe I really don’t understand how to save money :-)

Sounds like a still cheap rabbit hole to me ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen
  (who is awaiting travel to become easier again so I can pack some bags and go see some big fish...)