services should be back up - power outage

Jeroen Massar jeroen at massar.ch
Thu Oct 1 13:56:17 PDT 2020

> On 20201001, at 22:08, Attilla de Groot <attilla at attilla.nl> wrote:
>
> I’m not familiar with all the details, but an F5 is probably an overkill and you can acomplish the same thing with quite a simple nginx setup. ;-)

BIG-IP is indeed effectively an old Red-Hat, with Apache, Zebra (not even Quagga) and some other bits and pieces and a big API and UI around it.
The good old hardware boxes with SSL accelerator cards where quite cool, but we have modern software and hardware-accelerated crypto in CPUs nowadays, which is exactly what the 'virtual' version does.

As you say, you can just use F5's nginx (yes, they bought that) if you want load-balancing and whatever BGP daemon if you want to go there.

Using a proprietary box like that for a open source project is also odd, especially as it runs mostly on open software that is an apt-get and ansible/puppet/choose-your-poison away.

And as I understand Dirk is just using a NUC at the moment, if that is not sufficient, upgrading that single box is much much easier than using an overloaded VM for little gain...

Also BIG-IP does not solve data sync between an active/passive host which is an actual concern from what I understand (can be off there ;) .

Greets,
 Jeroen