[subsurface/subsurface] Simple Mac OSX Dark Mode Fix (#3053)

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Thu Oct 29 23:17:46 PDT 2020

I can understand that some users prefer a dark mode. However, I think it
is a regression if the screen display falls back on a 1990's -like
monocolor display of window text while monochrome monitor screens do not
exist anymore.

There is a much more friendly solution. Since the use of a dark theme is
not a corner use case, this is an aspect that can and should comfortably
be handled by one or more appropriate preference settings. We have a
screen for display preferences. I would suggest that, in the case of a
dark theme, a pale blue colour is used instead of a medium blue colour.

Doug, if you look at the overall display of textual information in
Subsurface in a dark theme, is the blue text the only issue, or can some
other text colours also be improved?

I tried Ubuntu's dark theme and it does not display Subsurface in dark
mode, only the window frame. This does not worry me personally, but
there is a case to be made to have a discussion about the longer term
vision with respect to how Subsurface as a program responds to different
themes. Theming has been done in Subsurface-mobile, so there is no
reason why the desktop application should lag behind in this respect. I
understand that the question is who would be prepared to do this work?
But at least if there is a vision of a path forward and an agreed-upon
code-level strategy, then perhaps implementation could start in a
stepwise manner.

Kind regards,

willem

Please refer to