Bluetooth rfcomm and Shearwater Petrel updates

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Sep 20 18:36:13 PDT 2020

> On Sep 20, 2020, at 3:53 AM, Jason Bramwell <jb2cool at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I’ve done some download tests using a Petrel 1. Downloads using subsurface-4.9.6-118-g767f0a4f3eb0.exe on Windows is working just fine for me now, I was able to open rfcomm before and download 4.9.6 stable but was hitting the “Error parsing the header” error meaning no dives were imported, this latest test version has resolved this and the dives download and import just fine now.
>
> I’ve also been able to download successfully on Linux using Subsurface-4.9.6-118-g767f0a4f3eb0-x86_64.AppImage but it took a lot of fiddling and pairing/unpairing to work but yes, it did work. Once you’ve been able to download once though this does seem to reliably connect up and download fine on subsequent attempts with no messing around needed, close and reopen Subsurface and try the download again and it ‘just works’. However after a reboot my laptop went back to saying “unable to open 00:13:43:06:AF:07 Shearwater Petrel“ and I was no longer able to download. This could be something specific to my laptop/BT adapter combination though so I would be interested to hear what the experience of others is. Yes Subsurface-4.9.6-118-g767f0a4f3eb0-x86_64.AppImage is capable of downloading and importing from a Shearwater Petrel 1 but in my experience it’s not 100% reliable.

I'm actually surprised that it works with the AppImage - there often are BlueZ issues when using an AppImage. Depending on the distro you use, we do have packages for a few that generally give a better user experience.

Thanks for the report back - I really appreciate that. It helps me feel more confident that we did indeed fix the problem.